Did this question ever crop up in your mind?… Inspired, I decided to do my own research.
Among the 66 books of the Bible, only the Book of Hebrews may have been written by a woman named Priscilla, and the rest were most likely written by male. Based on my research, there were really other women who did contribute to the Scriptures. Their words, songs, prayers and passionate speeches were also immortalized through the Bible, in which some may have been recorded later by male writers.
The following were female contributors of the Scriptures:
1. Miriam- She was the sister of Moses who sang a song after the parting of the Red Sea, a prophetess and was well-respected by both men and women alike. In Exodus 15:20-21 she said “Sing to the Lord for He is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.”
2. Deborah- Most scholars will agree that Deborah’s song of praise in Judges was written by this female judge herself. She was also called a prophetess. The song reads like a history lesson filled with proper names and places. (Judges 5:13-14)-” Then the men who were left came down to the nobles; the people of the Lord came to me with the mighty. Some came from Ephraim whose roots were Amalek; Benjamin was with the people who followed you. From Makir captains came down, from Zebulun those who bear a commander’s staff.”
3. The Book of Ruth was about the relationship between 2 women namely: Ruth- a Moabite , and her Jewish mother-in-law Naomi. ( Ruth 1:16-17)- ” Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go,I will go, and where you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your god, my god. Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.”
4. Hannah- She prayed after the birth and dedication of her son, Samuel, which was recorded in Samuel 2:1-10, the Hannah’s prayer of thanksgiving. ” Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the Lord is a God who knows, and by Him deeds are weighed. The bows of the warriors are broken but those who stumbled are armed with strength.”
5. Elizabeth- When she heard the voice of her cousin, Mary, Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed for joy,” Blessed are you among women and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greetings reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord had said to her will be accomplished!”
And last but not the least
6. Virgin Mary- She composed one of the most beautiful songs of all time , Luke 1:46-55- ” My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me- holy is His name.”
God bless us all!